Thursday, February 28, 2013

Grilled Sirloin Skewers with Peaches and Peppers


Whenever I go back to my hometown in Florida, my first stop is ALWAYS to Costco then straight to my parents' grill.  Since my own outdoor space back in the city consists of a very small rickety fire escape, as soon as my toes touch the manicured lawns of suburbia, it is always my top priority to take full advantage of the toys typically found in a patio or backyard.  Smokers, grills, lawn mowing vehicles... man oh man, fun times.

During this particular visit, I knew that I wanted to use the bright flavors found in our wonderful Sunshine State.  Luckily, before I left, while under mounds of blankets and in fuzzy socks, I bookmarked this Cooking Light recipe knowing that this would be the first dish to welcome me back to char heaven.  


Grilled Sirloin Skewers with Peaches and Peppers
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

Kebabs
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
2 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 pounds boneless sirloin steak, cut into 48 (1-inch) pieces
4 peaches, each cut into 8 wedges
2 small red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
2 large red bell peppers, each cut into 8 (1-inch) pieces
Cooking spray

Sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
Parsley sprigs (optional)

Preparation

Prepare grill.

To prepare kebabs, combine first 7 ingredients; toss well. Thread 3 steak pieces, 2 peach wedges, 1 onion wedge, and 1 bell pepper piece alternately onto each of 16 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 6 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Place kebabs on a platter; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 5 minutes.

To prepare sauce, combine chopped parsley and next 5 ingredients (chopped parsley through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Spoon over kebabs. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.

   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly