Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bobby Flay's Miso-Ginger Salmon with Arugula and Grapefruit Salad and Miso Dressing

I love burnt toast.  
The crunchy black burnt bits always 
brings a smile to my stomach. 

I adore grilled food because it gives 
EVERYTHING the crunchy burnt bits that I adore so dearly.

Unfortunately, I live in a city where only 
a lucky few are graced with access to outdoor space.  
That's not to say I am completely void of one, but I'm almost certain that it's illegal to grill on my fire escape. 

I had to come up with an alternative.

So I bought a snazzy grill pan!

Of course, a grill pan will not replicate the delectable charcoal flavor, but you WILL achieve a crisp black beautiful char.  

I recommend using this bad mamma jamma right here: 

Circulon Contempo Nonstick 12" Round Grill Pan
  
My kitchen has an electric stove (I know, I know) with round 
ranges, so the circular shape of the pan is 
perfect for even heat distribution.  The result? 
Beautiful solid Sharpie black grill marks on
your favorite roasted pepper or steak.     

Now why did I bring up this char jibber jabber? 
Oh, yeah. Bobby Flay.  Mr. Big Red Rico Suave a Grill. 

I found this recipe online and as soon as 
I saw that it was a Bobby Flay dish
I knew that it was time for 
my grill pan to come out and play. 

I must warn you, searing your food indoors using 
a scorching pan will most likely smoke up your apartment like  
a bad 80's video set.  The taste, however, that you will achieve 
with this technique will make you 
wanna dance like you're Tawny Kitaen.  



Bobby Flay's Miso-Ginger Salmon

Serves 4


1/4 cup white miso (fermented soybean paste)
1/4 cup mirin
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 to 3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced green onions
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
4 salmon fillets, 8 ounces each
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Yuzu juice, for drizzling, optional

1. Whisk together the miso, mirin, vinegar, soy sauce, green onions, ginger, and sesame oil in a small bowl. 

2. Reserve a small portion to use as your dressing. 

3. Place the salmon in a baking dish, pour the marinade over, and turn to coat. 

4 Cover and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

5. Heat grill to high. Remove the fish from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. 

6. Grill the salmon, skin side down, with the cover closed, until golden brown and a crust has formed, about 3 to 4 minutes. 

7 Turn the salmon over and continue grilling for 3 to 4 minutes for medium doneness. 

8. Drizzle with a little yuzu juice, if desired, and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly